eBay Main Street Privacy & Cookie Notice
This notice was last updated December 10, 2018, and will take effect immediately for new users and upon January 10, 2019 for all other users.
Welcome to ebaymainstreet.com! At eBay we value your trust and strive to honor it by being transparent, consistent and reliable about how we use your Personal Information. “Personal Information” is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. We do not consider Personal Information to include information that has been made anonymous or aggregated such that it can no longer be used to identify a specific person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise. We wrote this notice in simple terms so that you can understand how we handle your Personal Information.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
By accessing ebaymainstreet.com and any of its local versions where this Privacy and Cookie Notice is referenced, regardless of how you access or use them, including through mobile devices, (the “Site”), you are acknowledging your receipt and understanding of this Privacy and Cookie Notice which explains our collection, use, disclosure, retention and protection of your Personal Information.
- If you reside within the European Union you are entering into a contract with eBay Europe S.à.r.l., 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxembourg.
- If you reside within the United States you are entering into a contract with eBay, Inc., 2065 Hamilton Ave, San Jose, CA, 95125, USA.
- If you reside elsewhere, you are entering into a contract with eBay International AG, Helvetiastraße 15-17, 3005 Bern, Switzerland.
In this Privacy and Cookie Notice, these entities are individually and collectively referred to as “eBay”, “we”, “us” or “our”.
The entity you are contracting with when you sign up for eBay Main Street or otherwise visit the Site is your data controller and is responsible for the collection, use, disclosure, retention and protection of your Personal Information in accordance with our global privacy standards, this Privacy and Cookie Notice, as well as any applicable national laws. Your data controller may transfer data to other members of the eBay Inc. corporate family who have signed our BCRs, as described in this Privacy and Cookie Notice. We may process and retain your Personal Information on our servers in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world where our data centers are located.
Where we have a legal obligation to do so, we have appointed data protection officers (DPOs) to be responsible for the privacy program at each of the respective data controllers. You can contact any of our DPOs via the Contact Us information detailed below in this Privacy and Cookie Notice.
We have established a set of global privacy standards for all eBay Inc. companies known as Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs). They are our commitment to protect your Personal Information and honor our privacy obligations regardless of where your Personal Information is collected, processed or retained within our eBay Inc. corporate family. For more information about our BCRs visit our eBay Privacy Center.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect personal information from you and any devices (including mobile devices) you use when you: sign up on the Site, provide us information on a web form, participate in a campaign, or when you otherwise correspond with us.
We may also collect personal information from other sources, as described below.
Personal Information you give sign up on the Site:
- Identifying information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and eBay user ID.
- You may also provide us other information (such as testimonials, experience reports and editorials) when you participate in a campaign or in a Main Street Member Program Event (“Event”) or if you communicate with us through email or otherwise.
- Finally, if you use the like or share buttons in our Site to let your friends know about your interest, we will record it.
Personal information we collect automatically when you use our Site:
- We collect information about your interaction with our Site. This is information we receive from devices (including mobile devices) you use when you access our Site. This information could include the following: Device ID or unique identifier, device type.
- Location information, including location information from your mobile device. Keep in mind that most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services by any application on your mobile device in the device's settings menu.
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your page views, traffic to and from the sites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history and your web log information.
What about Cookies and similar technologies? (Cookie Notice)
Cookies are small text files (typically made up of letters and numbers) placed in the memory of your browser or device when you visit a website or view a message. Cookies allow a website to recognize a particular device or browser. There are several types of cookies
- Session cookies expire at the end of your browser session and allow us to link your actions during that particular browser session.
- Persistent cookies are stored on your device in between browser sessions, allowing us to remember your preferences or actions across multiple sites.
- First-party cookies are set by the site you are visiting.
- Third-party cookies are set by a third party site separate from the site you are visiting.
Cookies can be disabled or removed by tools that are available in most commercial browsers. The preferences for each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options.
We offer certain site features, services, applications, and tools that are available only through the use of these technologies. You're always free to block, delete, or disable these technologies if your browser, installed application, or device so permits. However, if you decline cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain site features, services, applications, or tools. You may also be required to re-enter your password more frequently during your browsing session. For more information on how you can block, delete, or disable these technologies, please review your browser or device settings.
Generally, these technologies allow our Site to store relevant information in your browser or device and later read that information in order to identify you to our servers or internal systems. Where applicable, we protect our cookies and other similar technologies to help ensure that only we and/or our authorized service providers can interpret them by assigning them a unique identifier that is designed for interpretation only by us. We don't store any of your personal information on any of our cookies or other similar technologies.
Any personal information that we collect and store through use of these technologies is first obtained through notice and consent: We obtain your consent by providing you with transparent notice of use of the technologies and, to the extent described herein, providing you with the opportunity to make a choice to disable these technologies.
Our uses of such technologies fall into the following general categories:
If you reside within the United States: California law requires us to say how we respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. Because we do not collect Personal Information about our users over time and across third party websites and online services, we do not currently respond to DNT signals.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the information we collect from you for a range of different purposes and according to different legal bases of processing. The following is a summary of how and according to which legal bases we use your personal information
We use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests. We have implemented controls to balance our interests with your rights. This includes to:
- Measure and improve our Services
- Provide access to and use of our Site
We use your personal information to fulfil a contract with you and provide you with our Services, to comply with our legal obligation, protect your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good. This includes to:
- Provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information
With your consent, we may use your Personal Information to:
- Provide you with telephone calls or text messages on eBay’s latest government efforts that may impact your eBay experience
- Provide you with legislative alerts, let you know about Events, and inform you about how to contact government officials if you have consented to such contact
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
Our specific retention times for Personal Information are documented in our regional records retention schedules. How long we retain Personal Information can vary significantly based on context of the services we provide and on our legal obligations. The following factors typically influence retention periods:
- How long is the Personal Information needed to provide our Site? This includes such things as maintaining and improving the performance of our Site, keeping our systems secure, and maintaining appropriate business and financial records. This is the general rule that establishes the baseline for most of our data retention periods.
- Is the Personal Information sensitive? If so, a shortened retention time is generally appropriate.
- Have you provided consent for a longer retention period? If so, we will retain data in accordance with your consent.
- Are we subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain your Personal Information? Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation, or Personal Information retained for the purposes of litigation.
After it is no longer necessary for us to retain your Personal Information, or if required by applicable law, we will dispose of it in a secure manner according to our data retention and deletion policies.
How We Might Share Your Personal Information
We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes. We do share it in limited instances that include:
- Sharing upon your request. For example, when you participate in a petition we will share your information to let your political representatives know that you support the petition.
- Sharing with third party service providers we employ to process Personal Information on our behalf based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy. For example, we may share information with a third party we hire to handle emails.
- Sharing with members of the eBay Inc. corporate family to provide joint services. For example, if you choose to participate in a tickets-related campaign, we may share your information with StubHub.
- Sharing when we believe it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law; regulation, or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or eBay; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
Finally, we may engage in certain transactions that require us to transfer Personal Information, such as mergers, acquisitions, or dissolution, in accordance with our global privacy standards.
- You may request access to the Personal Information provided to us during registration or request that such information be updated, restricted, deleted or provided to you in machine readable form as required by applicable law by writing us an email at [email protected] or by contacting us through our Contact Us page at any time.
- You may change your preferences about how we contact you by clicking the unsubscribe link on any of our emails or by letting us know what your preferences are through our Contact Us page at any time.
- You may opt-out of Google Analytics by installing Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
- Your browser or device may allow you to set your preferences in a way that blocks our cookies.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We work very hard to protect your information by using technical and administrative security measures (such as encryption, passwords, physical access controls, information access authorization controls, etc.) to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration.
Other Important Information
- We may change this notice from time to time. If we do, we will post any changes on this Site. If the changes are significant, we may provide more prominent notice or obtain your consent as required by law. Amended terms automatically take effect 30 days after they are posted. If you continue to use our Site after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised notice.
- Our Site is a general audience website and is not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from users in this age group.
- When you share information with third party social media websites (e.g. by using the share button to share information about a campaign you have joined), remember that the information these third parties collect is subject to their privacy policies, not ours.
- Your Personal Information may be processed and retained on servers in the United States and elsewhere in the world where our data centers are located. The laws pertaining to Personal Information in the United States may be different than the laws of the country where you reside.
- You may contact us by writing us an email at [email protected], by contacting us through our Contact Us page or you may write to the Global Privacy Office at 2065 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, California, 95125, USA (Attn: Legal – Global Privacy Office).